CALA LLONGA WALK
TOURIST OFFICE to PUIG DE SES TORRETES
Distance: 5 Kilometers
Height Gain: 215 Metres
Time: 2 Hours
Difficulty: Strenuous with a continuous steep climb, stony underfoot so care required on descent
Advice: Sunscreen, water, strong grip footwear
Looking out to sea from Cala Llonga beach there are two headlands,
to the right we see a high forested hill, this is Puig de ses Torretes.
At the summit of this hill (220m) we have ruins of what was at first an early Bronze Age hamlet dating from 1600- 1300 BC.
Excavations carried out here since the 1980’s have also uncovered evidence of Punic and Roman cultures.
Its strategic position suggests that it was used as a fortress and lookout.
Though the climb is steep, the views on route and at the top are stunning looking to Cala Llonga bay,
North West to the hills and valleys, West to see the peninsula of Salinas terminating with a Tower (Torre) and
to the South we can see our neighbouring island of Formentera.
1. From the Tourist kiosk on the beach (with the sea behind you), opposite S.O.S. Restaurant,
walk left with the beach car park on your left. Begin to climb slightly passing El Pinar Apart-hotel
on left & continue on winding road upwards. The road becomes a forest dirt track.
2. Keep right at the small clearing and stay on main dirt track.
4. View of Cala Llonga to Wild Asparagus (Pueblo Esparragos) complex.
5. Old Machine (unidentified) Prepare to turn right in 20m on woodland path.
6. Turn right (painted green arrow) climbing on woodland path, ignore any small turn-offs.
7. Continue past Cairns (South, South West direction)
8. Soon arrive at ruins (Trig Point 220m) enjoy views from hilltop. Walk back down path that you arrived on.
Note: do not take steep downward pathway to the left, this is a dangerous steep path.
9. Reaching T junction right turn takes you to another viewing point (100m)
10. Reaching same T junction left takes you on your return journey downward to your starting point. The descent is steep do not rush.
Arriving back in Cala Llonga you may wish to take some very well earned refreshment
in one of the bars and restaurants that our village has to offer.
We hope you enjoyed the walk.